Inspire your peers and be eligible for college scholarships!
Here’s how to submit your service story for scholarship consideration:
Telling us your service story is easy! Just click the button below to access our service story submission form (scholarship application).
- How do I choose a service project? This is entirely up to you. We want you to find your service passion under any of our ten major cause categories. Your project could be volunteering at a local animal shelter (Animal Welfare), mentoring a younger student (Education), or organizing a beach / park clean-up project (Environment). Just ask “What Cause Inspires You?” then follow that lead.
- Where can I get ideas for a service project? We will soon add an Inspiration Gallery which features stories from past Humanity Rising Service Scholarship Winners and finalists – perhaps you’ll find a service story that inspires you to do the same in your community once that resource is available. For now, reach out to your family, teachers / counselors, or others about your desire to perform service and interest in finding your service passion.
- What must I do to win a college scholarship? Tell us your service story! There are no minimum hours required and no specific activity that is more or less compelling in the eyes of our judges. We’re looking for service that was impactful and meaningful to you and those who benefitted from your volunteerism or innovative service project. A good rule of thumb is at least ten (10) hours of overall engagement.
- What are the chances of me winning a college scholarship? We have thousands of students taking part in the Humanity Rising movement, but we also have a growing list of donors and supporters who want to provide scholarships as a reward for the good work of students. Our focus will always be on keeping the pipeline filled with scholarship opportunities. Hopefully you’ll focus on finding your service passion, telling us your story, and becoming a recipient of a Humanity Rising Service Scholarship!
- How often do you award college scholarships? Humanity Rising awards scholarships on an ongoing basis. Awards range in size from $500 to $2,000 and up. As our program continues to grow, we will be expanding the number of awards (and the size of some awards).
- How will I know if I win? You will be contacted by a member of the Humanity Rising team via email if you are a finalist. As a finalist, you’ll be asked to provide additional information regarding your service project AND the contact information of a teacher or other adult who can provide additional insight regarding the service you’ve performed. That information will then be reviewed and a final winner(s) chosen. If you are selected by our judges to receive a college scholarship, you will be notified again via email.
- If I win a college scholarship, when will I get the money? Humanity Rising uses a third party scholarship administrator. After notifying you of your award, Humanity Rising will contact our scholarship administrator and provide them with your award amount, the timeframe you should be starting college, and your mailing address. You will then be contacted directly by the scholarship administrator and provided additional paperwork related to the disbursement of your scholarship. The award will be issued directly to the school you attend once you’ve started your program with that institution.
- What is the deadline for submitting my service story? Our programs TYPICALLY run on what is known as a “rolling” scholarship schedule. This means we’ll review service stories as submitted and announce scholarship winners at different times throughout the year. So, unless you see a specific service challenge posted with a submission deadline, feel free to submit your service story at any time for college scholarship consideration!
- Can I do a service project with a group of friends? Of course…and we encourage you do so if that is part of your service passion. Please note that Humanity Rising currently does not issue “group” scholarship awards. So, you and other members of your group project must individually submit your service story to Humanity Rising for scholarship consideration. We’ll announce via our newsletter and web site when group awards become available.
- I have several service passions and multiple stories to share. Can I submit more than one story? Absolutely! Each will be considered on its own merits. Also, if you submit a service story but do not earn a scholarship…feel free to submit that story again after a few months if you have continued that specific volunteer / service project endeavor and have achieved additional, positive outcomes.
- I have a question that wasn’t answered here…who can I contact? Send your question to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. A member of our team will get back to you (typically within 72 hours).