Already making a difference in the HOMELESSNESS cause category? Tell us about it through our “What Cause Inspires You” program. Click HERE for instructions on posting your HOMELESSNESS service story for $500 college scholarship consideration!
DID YOU KNOW –
- Between 2.3 and 3.5 million people experience homelessness every year in the U.S.
- Families with children are the fastest growing segments of the homeless population…of every 200 children in America, three are homeless and twice that number are at risk for homelessness
- There are approximately 1.3 million homeless youth living unsupervised on the streets, in abandoned buildings, with friends or with strangers…and this number is growing
- In the Chicago area alone, there are 9,000 youth who experience homelessness each year
- About 40% of homeless men are veterans…on any given night, 200,000 veterans are homeless
SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES TO CONSIDER –
- Volunteer at a nonprofit organization working to help end homelessness
- Organize a collection of toiletries, clothing, books, blankets, etc. for a homeless shelter or other nonprofit organization
- Raise funds for a nonprofit organization working to help homeless youth
- Watch a film on homelessness at your school (such as “The Homestretch” ) and organize a discussion group to plan a service project
- Contribute your time in any of the ways suggested by The National Coalition for the Homeless
- Create Your Own Service Project